First, get clear on the best practice when collecting a sample by watching our ‘how to video’ here. You can use up to 5 lancets on both hands (on all fingers except the 5th (little) fingers as the tissue is not deep enough and we don’t want the lancets to cause injury) although please don’t use a lancet on a finger you have already pierced.
Still struggling? Here are some of our top tips:
1. Drink a pint of water, or more if you can. Hydration is key!
2. Warmer hands = more circulation. So, submerge your hand in warm water before collecting your sample to get that blood pumping.
3.Prick the fleshy part of your ring or middle finger, this is the best part to get the kind of drops we want to see.
4. Don’t forget to wipe away the first droplet! But once it has been wiped away you’re free to drop as many as you want in the tube.
5.Avoid squeezing your finger. Instead, massage the palm of your hand down towards the pierced finger.
6.Get gravity on your side! Holding your hand down whilst massaging it will encourage blood flow.
7. Use the cartwheel method! Take the arm that is not being used for the sample and swing in a cartwheel motion for about a minute.
8.If you can, try doing some star jumps to get the blood pumping.
9. Pierce a second finger if the blood stops flowing on the first (remember, you can pick any except the little finger).
10. It might take you a little longer to get the amount of blood you need, but filling it up to the line is always the goal!
If you can’t collect enough blood after using 3 lancets, please contact us at email@example.com or call (UK +44 808 501 5860 or Ireland +35 318 008 00687) and we’ll guide you through the next steps.