Your kit will contain everything you need, including some easy-breezy instructions. We’ve broken down the steps you should follow when testing:
- Don’t go thirsty! It’s important your body is well hydrated to encourage your blood flow, so be sure to drink plenty of water the day before, as well as on the morning of testing.
- Test in the morning We recommend collecting your sample in the morning within the first 3-4 hours of waking up after you have fasted for at least 8 hours.
- Get prepped! Remove all the items from the box and read through the instructions. Make sure the cap is removed from the collection tube before you begin.
- The warmer the better! It’s important that your hand is nice and warm to increase your blood flow, so either collect your sample after a warm shower or submerge your hand in warm water for at least 5 minutes.
- Where to pierce? Dry your hand off, and choose the finger you’ll be pricking. The best place to prick is the outer centre tip of your ring or middle finger. Sterilise your finger with the alcohol wipe and wipe completely dry with a cotton swab or allow it to air dry.
- Time to prick! Twist off the lancet cap (don’t worry you won’t see a needle) and press it firmly down on your finger. Wipe away the first drop of blood with a clean tissue.
- Get gravity on your side! ! Use a low surface for the collection tube - One that is lower than your elbow when standing, is best. This is important for ensuring blood flow. Stand up and hold your arm down to allow blood to drip into the tube.
- Massage your hand! Firmly massage your hand in a downwards direction, from your wrist to your fingertip to encourage blood flow. Do this every 3-4 seconds. Do not squeeze the site of the piercing. If you can't get enough blood for the sample - just re-pierce another finger with a spare lancet.
If you face any problems when collecting your sample, please contact us.